Obligation to educate children
Current situationsDo you know more about the education system?
The current Japanese education system has many problems. Therefore, it is said that it is an area that must be actively changed from now on.
First, I will introduce the current status and issues of such an education system one by one.
Characteristics of Japanese education system
- 〈Japanese school lunch that can be proud of in the world〉
- 〈Emphasis on cooperation and group life〉 A characteristic of Japanese schools is that they often value cooperation and collective action.
- 〈There is no repetition system for compulsory education〉 Elementary and junior high schools, which are compulsory education in Japan, are promoted by one grade each year according to their age. I will not repeat a year unless there is something special.
- 〈Cleaning the school〉 At elementary and junior high schools in Japan, we have time to clean every day.
Japanese school lunch is based on the guidance of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. Therefore, the calories, nutritional value, budget, etc. per meal are set in detail.
As part of dietary education, we are actively incorporating school lunches that are conscious of "local production for local consumption" by using vegetables in the area.
It is a really wonderful system to have a place for "food education" provided through cheap and nutritious meals in the place of compulsory education called school.
There is a school lunch system overseas, but it is similar to fast food and there is insufficient consideration for nutritional value. Therefore, the level of school lunch in Japan is highly evaluated.
For example, standing up and bowing before class, aligning in a physical education class, and practicing group action.
A march in line with the athletic meet is also a typical group action unique to Japan.
It is necessary to value a certain degree of cooperation in going out into society, working as a team, and building relationships.
It's difficult to balance, but at least in the limited context of "compulsory education," you also need the ability to act in groups.
In a school where everyone lives together, it's nice to be able to learn how to behave in a group and how to be prepared to value cooperation.
However, in the United States and other Western countries, it is possible to repeat a year even in elementary school.
School education in Japan is an egalitarianism that allows students of any grade to advance. Therefore, it is natural to be able to graduate from junior high school regardless of economic conditions, family conditions, and individual characteristics.
If you do not complete compulsory education, it will be very difficult to go on to higher education or get a job.
Even children who are struggling with school life, such as those who cannot attend school or who are not good at studying, can be relieved because compulsory education can be completed equally.
We all clean the designated places such as classrooms, toilets, and schoolyards that we use. In fact, this is a culture unique to Japan.
Overseas, Janitors, not children, clean the school.
Therefore, it seems that it is rare for the school to experience the fact that the school is dirty and the difficulty of cleaning.
In Japan, the consciousness of "cleaning and cleaning up by ourselves when it gets dirty" has naturally taken root throughout the cleaning time at school.
It is very important to think about the next person to use and to use the public place cleanly.
- 〈Truancy〉 The number of school refusal children in Japan is on the rise.
- 〈Education of side-by-side awareness〉 Education in Japan is characterized by a uniform education system that emphasizes "everyone's the same", such as listening to the same class with all the students in the class, solving the same problems, and being evaluated by the same test.
- 〈Focus on education that makes the most of individuality〉 In many countries such as Europe, education that makes the most of each student's individuality is carried out, and it is said that there are many descriptive problems in which students think for themselves and express their opinions clearly.
In particular, as you can see from this graph, it has been increasing rapidly over the last five years.
Therefore, it is not possible to cultivate the talents of each person, and it is difficult to bring out the talents.
It is also said that Japan should pay more attention to education that makes the most of the individuality of other countries.
Education in Japan must continue to maintain its good points and actively change what needs to be changed.
・Education in Japan is still not sufficient at present compared to other countries. However, through the abolition of the center test, etc., the ability to generate new ideas has come to be emphasized, and it has begun to respond to future changes in society.